Monday 27 September 2010

Research

After discussing with my group, we decided to take pictures of various locations that we thought suited the 'horror' genre. We seperatley went out and took photos of places that we thought fitted the brief.We have to decide which type of theme which is either supernatural, the scientific and the naturalistic that we are going to choose. I decided on various locations near my home such as a forest, graveyard and bridge/walkway. We also took into account what type of locations are used in existing horror films by watching trailers and looking at image stills from films so that we make sure our locations fit the genre correctly.





I took this picture of some water because it is quite a peaceful setting. Frequently in horror films (but not all horror films), some settings used within the film are quite 'normal', especially in daylight so that the audience get a sense of normality and are able to relate before everything goes 'scary'. It is usually as the day progresses or when it gets dark that the setting would appear 'ery' and make the audience expect something to happen. As our intital plot has not been completley developed yet I am unsure if this setting would be suitable but I definatley think it has potential to be horror film setting. As initial research, I am going to hopefully go back to the location to take a photograph at night so it is easier to picture how 'scary' and 'frightening' the setting will look at night.




For research, I took a picture of this allyway because it is secluded, dark and 'cut off' from the rest of the area. I think this would be a great setting for a horror film because the sterotypical view of an allway is that it is scary and people creep up behind you. Especially in the dark, the allway would spark questions in the minds of the audience because they would want to know 'whats going to happen' 'whos going to come in the allway' ect.



I took this photograph at night of river type area. I took this photograph before we had fully developed our ideas but I thought it was appropriate for a horror film because It has an 'eery' vibe. I thought it fitted the conventions of a horror film because first of all, water such as rivers or lakes can be seen to be quite scary and mysterious because for all the audience knows, that could be the background to the story. There could be a mysterious creature living under the water. Secondly, I thought this picture was appropriate because the area is quite small which makes it more frightening because the 'scary creature' would be nearer to the 'victims'.


I took these photographs of a forest area because 'woods' are stereotypical horror film locations. For the first image, I was going to do a low angle shot to display the area from a different point of view but then I just took the photo looking directly at the trees just to show what the location looked like and if it was relevant. Also in this type of area the lighting is dark and there are usually a lot of shadows which will help to make the area look ery and fit the film genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment